Coach Alicia Fong

Just another WordPress.com weblog

Health tip for week June 6th

20110607-125504.jpg

Be aware that high fructose corn syrup will be renamed to “corn sugar”.

The new name “corn sugar” was submitted to the federal government for permission to be used in food labels by the Corn Refiners Association. They have leverage with the government and it is most likely to be approved so look forward to the new label. Don’t mistaken by thinking it’s different. It’s the same and is very bad for you.

What is exactly high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)?

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a man-made sweetener that is found in a wide range of processed foods, from ketchup and cereals to crackers and salad dressings. It also sweetens just about all of the (regular) soda Americans drink. HFCS used in foods is between 50 to 55 percent fructose—so chemically, it’s virtually identical to table sugar (sucrose), which is 50 percent fructose. Metabolic studies suggest our bodies break down and use HFCS and sucrose the same way.

Why is it bad for you?

Research has shown that “high-fructose corn syrup” goes directly to the liver, releasing enzymes that instruct the body to then store fat! This may elevate triglyceride (fat in blood) levels and elevate cholesterol levels. This fake fructose may slow fat burning and cause weight gain. Other research indicates that it does not stimulate insulin production, which usually creates a sense of being full. Therefore, people may eat more than they should. Indications also are that the important chromium levels are lowered by this sweetener which may then contribute to type 2 diabetes. Obesity is a contributor too.

HFCS is easy to transport in tanker trucks. It isn’t susceptible to freezer burn, as is sugar. It has a long shelf life and keeps foods from becoming dry. It gives bread and baked products a wonderful color. It’s also cheaper than white sugar, partly because of generous federal subsidies and trade policies that encourage farmers to grow more corn. Fast food chains add it to their products because it is cheaper. It’s in the sauces, in the condiments, in the breadings, in the buns and in the drinks. It is the commercially preferred artificial sweetener by mist food manufacturers.

June 6, 2011 Posted by | Uncategorized | , , , , | Leave a comment

Health tip for week Feb 7th

Stay away from TOXINS because they are killing our health

I attended a seminar this weekend on toxicity.  And I was blown away by the information.  We are all toxic to some degree because we live in a toxic environment.  Chemicals are everywhere – in our homes, in our offices, in our gardens, and in our bodies.  This toxicity is making us fat and unhealthy.

We are bombarded with external toxins: paint fumes, industrial solvents, car exhaust, plasticizers, household cleaning products, pesticides, and food additives.

It is believed that new born babies today are exposed to as many as 287 of the 413 toxic chemicals being studied by the researchers at the Environmental Working Group (EWG).  The 287 toxins included 180 chemical compounds that have been shown to cause cancer in either animals or humans.

So how do the toxins make us unhealthy?  No matter how the toxins get into your body, through the lungs, stomach or skin, they all meet at the liver at some point.  From there, it get sent to the kidneys and colon for elimination, become trapped in bones, muscles, tissues or other organs or they get locked in the liver itself or they get stored away in fat cells. Fat cells don’t get broken down easily so the toxins literally weigh the body down.  As toxins accumulate, you begin to experience health problems like allergies, colds, migraines, and infertility, or major disease like cancer and diabetes.

Detoxification is a must to clean our bodies.  There are several types of detoxification treatments.  However, because we live in such toxic world, we are exposed to toxins daily and regularly consume poor-quality food contaminated by pesticides and animal proteins that have been injected with chemicals such as antibiotics and growth hormones.  Detoxification must be a constant bodily process, in order to stay healthy.

There is a lot we can do to reduce exposure to toxins.

  • Stay away from personal care products that have chemicals like shampoos and make-up products. The following cool website shows all of the toxins that reside in your home: www.everydayexposures.com.  It is so helpful, fun and informative.  Please, check it out and play with it.
  • Eat organic food or buy food with the lowest in pesticides.  For a list of the cleanest and dirtiest food, click here.
  • Stop eating sugar, especially anything with high-fructose corn syrup.  Beware that the food industry is trying to change the name to “corn sugar”.  It is the same bad thing.
  • Use green or environmental friendly detergent for laundry.  Same goes to dry-cleaning. Go to eco-friendly cleaners.
  • Avoid eating fish.  Most fish are contaminated especially farmed fish.  Click here for a list of fish  and how much mercury each fish has.
  • Don’t drink tap water.  It has fluoride.  Fluoride is one of the most poisonous substances on earth.  It tends to accumulate in the body, particularly in the bones, thyroid gland, and brain.  It lowers IQ.  And therefore, use a shower filter.  Your skin is the largest organ and so your skin will absorb the fluoride and chlorine when taking a bath or shower.
  • Don’t use Round-Up.   Worst chemicals.  It will stay in the air and you will be breathing it.
  • Don’t use Teflon-coated pots and pans.  To find out why, click here.

There is no point of going through any detoxification treatment if we continue to get expose to toxins on a daily basis.  The key is to eliminate or at least reduce the toxins as much as we can and then detoxify, so we can really stay healthy for a long time.

February 9, 2011 Posted by | Uncategorized | , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment